Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Some little evaluation on OpenOffice,org

I am in Lab now, doing some laboratory work assigned by Dr Zhang Weidong. My third subject in Liverpool John Moores University.

I discovered that the computer is installed with both OpenOffice.org 2.0 and Microsoft Office 2003. Since I know how to use MsWord already, I opted to use OpenOffice.org Writer, and see how it works.

Two of the things I have used is table function and picture function.

Table function:
Pretty good function, but it operates different compared to MsWord. Need to explore a little before getting used to it.

Picture function:
No mouse controlled cropping. If cropping is needed, you will have to modify it in the properties. Not too convenient. But it has some nice effects which can be used, which it can convert the pictures to charcoal sketches, which I don't think MsWord has this. Any picture can be washed out and sketched by charcoal. Cool effect! There are also Sharpen, Blur, Mosaic, Polarize, Solarize, Aging, Pop Art etc.

Hope they would improve on the cropping since MsWord 2007 can crop at the very detail level.

No comments: